Tuesday, December 16, 2003

LOTR: The Unbearable Whiteness of Being Frodo

Can we get a Cablasian Wizard, please? Are there any Eskimo orcs in central casting, come on work with me people! The Corsair is tired of all the hyperbole launched in the direction of LOTR. Really tired. The whole LOTR madness came along at a time when, after 9-11, the world wanted a clear cut battle between good and evil a la Harry Potter and Star Wars. Fine: I can understand the cathartic need for moral clarity.

And not to make it into a race thing (hunker down, my little pomegranates, you can see where I'm going with this, can't you?), but couldn't you have, like on latino elf? Or a black hobbit? Would that interfere with the integrity of the film? This has got to be the whitest trilogy in the history of film. What's up with that?

I mean, this is middle earth we are talking about here, not Woody Allen's Upper East Side. And on earth there are many races.

Okay, that's the end of my race rant.

MSNBC's Larry Terenzi offers the only negative review of LOTR you are likely to read other than my self serving race rant..

Update: "Lloyd Dobler" writes: "Gollum is a straight up brotha! Albeit a weird one."


No comments: