Monday, June 09, 2008

Gorbachev Signs Peltier Petition



At Hampton Court Palace Saturday night at the third-annual Raisa Gorbachev Foundation fundraiser, fashion world icon Vivienne Westwood, last seen fighting against racism in the fashion industry, got Mikhail Gorbachev, the final leader of the Soviet Union, to sign a petition for Leonard Peltier.

The Peltier case is one of those extraordinarily difficult cases that are used by every Democrat politician running for President. They say, every four years or so, that they will free him, to prove their bona fides in Progressive circles, then nothing gets done. There are strong arguments both pro and con. Glorious Dame Vivienne Westwood, a free-spirit born to rebel is on the side of his innocence. From Fashionweekdaily:

"'They always invite me to these charity things and I never make it, but I'm here because of President Gorbachev,' enthused Vivienne Westwood. 'He's just wonderful. Let me give you an example: I have a petition supporting Leonard Peltier -- the Native American who's been in jail for 20 years--and I gave it to Gorbachev and he just signed it!'"

No comments: