Friday, June 20, 2008

Please Diddy, Shut The Fuck Up



Have you ever broke bread with a serial capitalist? They are often in hyper-sell mode. A thumoeideutic nimbus of caustic, aggressive energy ensorcells them, sports gambler energy. The anemic-looking Russell Simmons is one such a person. He fairly orgasms at the prospect of creating another shitty business hustle. And short-fingered vulgarian Donald Trump is another (with his fucking vodka brand when he doesn't even drink; and his goodam university when he doesn't even read). Don King, too.

They are not the most elegant of people. They will be the first to tell you -- always with a self-deprecating "Only in America" laugh -- about their lack of couth, their occasional over-zealousness in pursuit of the American Dream. Early in life Hyper-Capitalistic types learn to appear self-deprecating to offset the social disgustingness of always trying to sell their particular brand to people often at socially inappropriate times, like during sex. Their children, they add softly, will benefit from their entrepreneurial spirit. Meanwhile, they say, knowing that talking about the sacrifice for their children has presently disarmed you, would you like to buy their hott new energy drink? And did they tell you that it was "hott (Averted Gaze)"?

A lot of people coming out of the hip-hop world have this particular personality type, unfortunately. They have risen out of poverty and often violent situations and their aggressive selling of the brand was rewarded with fabulous Wealth and Power and Secutiry. But what these rappers don't realize that when you have enough to afford super-yachts in the South of France and full-tuition for the kids at Horace Mann, it's okay to let your guard down and express a more leisurely, Town-&-Country vibe. The purpose of wealth is Security, so that one doesn't have to live one's life in perpetual Reptile-Survival-Mode, hustling for the sake of hustling. Ambition doesn't have to be "on" 24/7; in fact, ambition on that much is a creepily aggro vibe to be around.

This interview with "Diddy" encapsulates all my feelings about this type and their lack of self-consciousness about what it is that they do. From an interview with the Hollywood Reporter via Reuters via Videogum:

"THR: Do you see the potential for another nickname?

"Combs: Anything is possible. I wake up in the morning and I just go with the flow. I just make the best of it, and I'm just having fun. But at the same time it's a very serious time for me because I'm evolving as an artist, I'm evolving as a person.

"I don't want to stop. I've had a great career and a huge amount of success and I want to keep on going; I want to do things that people don't expect me to do. I want to surprise people, I want to keep on entertaining, and I think the best way to do that is through the art of storytelling and exploring different characters.

"THR: What roles are you considering to follow 'A Raisin in the Sun'?

"Combs: I'm spending a lot of time on developing something really tailor-made for where I want to go, which is more of a modern action, almost a more realistic, black Bruce Willis/'Bourne Identity'/Quentin Tarantino. I want to do something where people take a ride with me. Like, if you were going to hang out with me for 48 hours, you have no idea what would happen. On a more serious note, I've always had a dream to play Miles Davis. There's a script that's out there that doesn't have me playing him in the typical way."


Just throw anything with any sort cultural relevance and cache into that shit stew, Diddy and hope some of that good stuff rubs off on you, is that the formula?

No comments: