Monday, September 08, 2008

David Carr: "I'm Not A Jolly Guy, But I'm Not That Dark"



Ferociously honest New York Times media reporter David Carr, author of Night of the Gun: A Reporter Investigates the Darkest Story of his Life -- His Own, was on NPR this afternoon talking about his previous incarnation as what can only be properly construed as a crackhead. Asked about the origin of his famously raspy voice on The Leonard Lopate Show, Carr responded, "there are many things at work." Carr then described his cancer survival and radiation applied to his throat and also how he continued smoking afterwards. That might do it!

Later Carr included a litany of his injuries gained in the pursuit of alcohol and drugs, which included broken arms, broken legs, a broken wrist. "I sort of trailed parts behind me as I went," he surmised. Carr eventually quit cocaine because, as he put it, "I really hated being a bad dad, I really couldn't stand it."

Of his bringing the techniques learned as a reporter to the shambles of his previous life, Carr has fans in The Fourth Estate. "Journalists admire the conceit of the book." Carr's memoirs in multimedia form includes video interviews, medical reports, police reports and a website chronicling all those journalistic conceits in a single location.

No comments: