Monday, September 15, 2008

Rae Dawn Chong: "My Father Elicits A Fire Storm Of Responses In My Soul"



(image via wildsound-filmmaking-comments)

Actress Rae Dawn Chong, daughter of Tommy Chong, one half of the stoner comedy troupe Cheech and Chong, no doubt has a complicated relationship her father. Chong has of late resumed his career on the college circuit as part of the marquee 70's act after being released from prison in 2004. Chong served a nine-month sentence as part of an --unjustified? -- crackdown by the Justice Department on bongs.

But how was the "Up In Smoke" writer and star as a father? Rae Dawn Chong writes on Facebook today:

"My father elicits a fire storm of responses in my soul. His brand of fatherhood would insult my ideas and create so much dissatisfaction and that I would become like a 'guilt terrorist' and absolutely disrespect and malign him. Poor guy. Then one day I was busted...and cracked open. I was given tools to see how I did the very thing I accused him of and that all of my heartbreak and desertion was real only because I used "him" to also desert myself and HIM by the way. In other words he is just doing Tommy and that is enough. I had a menu of things that meant he was 'Dad' and when he didn't measure up (to my demands) which was impossible to do I would 'kill him' in my heart.

"Poor Dad...Now I have another religion and it's just as silly. Only it isn't him I focus on, it's some of his choices. YES It is NONE of my Business.

"I am completely in LOVE with the guy. Not from what he gives me...it's never what I want just what I need. I also love his sweetness his charm and beauty and his so called faults. They have protected me from him....and me."


The full post here.

No comments: