Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Media-Whore D'Oevres



(image via montblanc)

"I recently blogged about who the nicest celebrities are and I sensed a glow of sainthood encircling me as I did so. It felt awful! So, to appease my pitch-dark soul, here's a rundown of the most unhappy run-ins I've had with stars. And no, I won't include the ones with screaming divas Naomi Campbell, Jeanne Moreau, Anita Ekberg, and Vincent Gallo because I'm too scared to revisit experiences THAT traumatizing." (Musto)

"George Michael has fled the country following his arrest for possessing crack cocaine in a public toilet." (Thisislondon)

"First lady of France Carla Bruni-Sarkozy arrived in New York Monday morning with her husband, French President Nicolas Sarkozy, for the opening session of the UN General Assembly." (Observer)

"Democrat Joe Biden has tapped Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm to be the stand-in for Sarah Palin as he prepares for next month's vice presidential debate. 'She's going to try to make it as personal as she can. She's going to take a lot of straight lefts and jabs at me, she's going to try to get me to respond, she's going to try to get me to respond in a personal way," Biden said at a fundraiser Tuesday night in Chicago. "That's not my style. I'm not going to do it.'" (Time)

"More than anything, Geisai was a one-stop look at the heavily coded, often conformist youth culture of Japan. On the upper level was the School Festival Executive Committee, which celebrated the distinct subcultures born from Tokyo’s Akihabara district, full of video-game and electronics shops including a typical maid cafĂ©, where coquettish young girls in French maid outfits serve tea to male otaku. 'The Japanese sell schoolgirls’ used underwear in vending machines,' one of my colleagues commented as the giggling waitresses greeted us. 'It is an unhealthy obsession.'" (ArtForum)

"Following the Russian invasion of Georgia last month, foreign secretary Miliband called up Lavrov to convey Britain’s opposition to Russia’s actions, but the Russian became so annoyed that he started abusing the British diplomat, The Daily Telegraph said, citing an insider, who has seen the transcript of the conversation. 'Such was the repeated use of the F-word, it was difficult to draft a readable note of the conversation,' the insider said." (EconomicTimes)

"ultragrrrl: Come hear the new Bronx record at Angels & Kings. 7:30-9pm TOMORROW. Open Trump Vodka bar. No RSVP needed."

No comments: