Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Matthew Weiner: I Hear Couples Don't Watch "Mad Men" Because It Makes Them Uncomfortable



(image via latimes)

Matthew Weiner of AMC's "Mad Men" -- our favorite show on TV -- was interviewed on TheDeadBolt (along with Jon Hamm) backstage at the Emmy's. Among other things Weiner admitted that he wrote part of the pilot in the Beverly Hills Public Library and part of it at Starbucks. He also expressed surprise at the Emmy's being "a segregated and caste system." Why didn't they ask one of the "Mad Men" cast to present an award? Yeah. Also:

TheDeadBolt: What do you think it is about the show that’s resonated with so many people, and in places like Australia? And there’s also rumor that the Mad Men cast, some of you might be heading to Australia as well?

MATTHEW WEINER: I want to know about that. I don’t know about that - surfing or something. What is the appeal, the international appeal to the show? I think that this was a golden era for the United States and we exported our culture and our style and our way of life, and we look back on it fondly. But I also think it’s a human drama about the truth. I heard this amazing anecdote; someone told me that people fight a lot about watching the show together, couples, you know, ‘You watched it without me and you watched the Tivo,' or whatever. And now I’ve heard they don’t want to watch it together because they’re uncomfortable. I mean, I think it resonates with the human condition. And as long as you’re dealing with people on the planet, of which people in Australia are, it will be popular hopefully."

No comments: