Saturday, April 10, 2004

Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Story

(ed note: Condi Rice Drinking Game Link:)

This week's Time Out New York features an interview with The Dave Chappelle Show's breakout star, Charlie Murphy, the younger brother of Eddie "My Girl Likes to Party All the Time" Murphy.

Here are two interesting excerpts from an interview by Margeaux Watson:

TONY: Your brother (Eddie Murphy) used to wear some pretty wild leather suits.

CM: So did I! I had the Butch Lewis look -- suit, no shirt, gold chains, hair all greasy. Everything was shiny and oily. I remember one time we was at the premiere of one of my brothers' movies and we thought we was the shit. We had our shades on, sitting down, waiting for the movie to start, and Debbie Allen walked over, bent down and said, 'Y'all some handsome black men, but I really wish y'all would take that shit out of your hair.' We was insulted, like, 'Muthafucka, don't try to rain on my parade! I'm fly!' But she kept it real, man."

and:

TONY: Do you have any True Hollywood Stories that are too raw for Comedy Central?

CM: Of course! But I gotta be careful because I am not a tattletale and I aint tryin' to make no enemies. Rick James and Prince loved my stories about them. In fact Dave (Chappelle) told me that when he went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, Prince invited him to his after party at the hotel. They were all in the room laughing, and Prince was telling him how much he loved the sketch, and then he ordered room service and when he got to Dave, he said 'Pancakes, Dave?'"

Tony: Do people constantly come up to you and imitate Dave's portrayal of Rick James by screaming 'Charlaaaay Murphaaay?'

CM: Yeah, and that's great for me because it aint like you saying 'Reebok' or 'Nike' when you say 'Charlaay Murphaaay.' You sayin -- my name. I'm being promoted all over America. I couldn't wish for something better than that.

Set TiVo's for stun: ten episodes of Dave Chappelle tonight on Comedy Central. It's Chappelle's night, godammit.

No comments: