Friday, August 24, 2007

On Tarantino's Misogynies



The telltale head. (image via hitchkok.tv)

There's this weird, rather creepy aspect of Quentin Tarantino and women. And it goes beyond the foot fetish. And the bulbous, sweaty, Edgar Allan Poeish, Tarantinoersque head (Exaggerated cough suggesting feigned detachment). It has to do with how Tarantino seems to get off on depicting women in pain and degradation on-screen. From those intrepid Page Sixxies:

"Asked by FHM to pick his favorite death scene, the 'Grindhouse' director selects the 1982 Italian horror flick 'Tenebre,' directed by Asia Argento's dad, Dario, in which a victim paints the wall with blood after her arm is chopped off. Second is 2001's 'Jason X,' where a fiend solidifies a woman's face by forcing it into liquid nitrogen, then slams it against a counter so it shatters like glass. Tarantino also loves 1981's 'The Prowler,' in which a girl showers while her boyfriend lies in bed. '[The prowler] sticks a bayonet through the top of his head so it comes down through his chin ... [Then] he goes into the shower, where the chick is naked, and he stabs her with a pitchfork and, as she's screaming, he lifts her up the wall.'"

What the fuck? What's with this woman-torture, "Q.T."? This reminds us of a fucking creepy tale we posted here, July 30, 2004 (From Independent Film Quarterly, issue 7):

"IFQ: Can you talk about the wild times with (Quentin) Tarantino on the set (of Kill Bill: Volume II)?

"Michael Madsen: I don't know if we had wild times. We had good times. Quentin likes to laugh a lot. He's a great laugh. Like the night we did the syringe shot in the butt. I'd never seen so many volunteers in my whole life! Every single woman on that set wanted to be the inserted ass. They were lined up and one by one they'd lay down and I'd shoot them in the ass. (It's for the scene where Michael's character shoots Uma's character in the butt before he buries her alive in a coffin) Quentin was like, 'Let me do it. I want to do it!' Now he's putting the syringe in the butt shot. We must have done 20 different women for the butt shot! Everybody wanted to do it. I think that's Quentin's hand in the movie because I had done about six of them, and I was like, I'm going to my trailer. He spent the rest of the night out there injecting! Next. Next. Next. This side. That looks good. He got that from me because the first time we did the scene, I slapped her on the butt, and then I gave her the shot."

Fucking creepy, yo.

No comments: