Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Diablo Cody: I Just Think Half Of The Country Will Be Depressed If Obama Loses



(image via wired)

Yesterday MTV hosted an "Election Effect" panel discussion and breakfast featuring Diablo Cody, Rosario Dawson, Hilary B. Rosen, youth correspondent Luke Russert, Alex N. Vogel and The Daily Show's Larry Wilmore from their offices in Midtown Manhattan.

Some interesting quotes from the panel:

"Since January, 800,000 new voters registered in West Virginia, and of that 800,000, 62 percent were under the age of 30," said NBC Youth Issues reporter, Luke Russert. "This is an election of individual states. There is a chance for the youth vote to offset the older vote more than there was in 2004.”

"“Sarah Palin came in during the convention and it was like they hooked them up to an IV filled with conservative crack," said Larry Willmore, correspondent for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. "They just couldn’t get enough of it.”

"I think the country has just been polarized for years at this point," said Diablo Cody. "I don’t think there will be much of a sea change; I just think half of the country will be depressed. I think the young people who were excited are going to be deeply disappointed."

"It was really interesting when people started saying Obama must be an elitist because of his education," said Rosario Dawson. "...I remember being in school and when you were really smart, people were like 'Why you trying to be white?' Unfortunately, there are a lot of demographics where education is looked down upon. Our culture doesn’t support education, which is why I think in the polls you see education falling so far down. Education tends to fall behind, not because they don’t value it but because there is a cultural issue there. Growing up for me it was the most important thing – I was going to be the first in my family to go to college – but the fact that I didn’t and went to work first, was fully supported."

No comments: