Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bai Ling: "One Day I Will Win An Oscar"



(image via theage)

There is something delightfully child-like about Bai Ling and the way in which she navigates the ethers of La-la land. There is her minimal command of the English language (doesn't stop her, not a whit). There is the matter of her ill-considered career choices (she couldn't care less). The bad relationships (alls fair in love and war). All of these things, and a reputation of what can only be properly construed as spaciness, place her squarely on the negative side of the entertainment industry curve.

And yet -- despite all that Bai Ling is upbeat. Positive. Positively kittenish, yet realistic about her place on the showbiz ladder. And so we resolve never again to make fun of her on this blog. From Movieline:

"Blackbook: So what can we expect from Crank 2: High Voltage?
"Bai: The movie is hilarious. My role — she is crazy. She’s hilarious, but she’ll break your heart. I’ve never acted this crazy and free in any movie. The two directors are young and nuts. At the beginning, they asked me to read the script, but during the shoot, I could basically do whatever I wanted — because whatever I said didn’t make any sense, but made perfect sense to her.

"I once said to Jason [Statham], 'You are my shiny diaper.' He laughed so hard, he couldn’t start. The directors said, 'Where is this coming from?' I said, 'I don’t know, it just came out of me.'

"Blackbook: You’ve done movies that some people might call 'B Movies.'
"Bai: I don’t know how to say this, but I find it strange and feel sorry for who have to label things as 'A actor' or 'B actor' 'B movie' and all of that. Basically, you are making yourself worse. We are all human beings, these are all jobs. You can’t say a waiter is worse than a doctor. A waiter is a waiter. I’m lucky to do what I do, and I don’t think in those terms. I think we need to respect what we do.

"Blackbook: What kind of movies would you like to make if you could have your choice?
"Bai: I deserve so much more than the roles I get offered now. I’m one of the best actresses. One day I will win an Oscar. I’m already winning it. I just have to find the platform to show it. I’m already winning it! I’ve got that talent."


Dream that dream, Bai Ling. It is Hollywood, and anythings possible.

No comments: