Thursday, September 11, 2008

Media-Whore D'Oevres



"This is, after all, her 10th year as the editor of Russian Vogue, an experience, she added in a sexy whiskey tenor, that has not done much to soften her. 'Fashion is a world in which everything is gorgeous, stunning, caramel on top of caramel, and cream on top of that,' she said. 'But in reality you have to fire people, to say things that are not particularly nice. There is a contrast between what you do socially and what happens behind closed doors.' Focused and formidably confident, Ms. Doletskaya, who has flitted in and out of the tents during Fashion Week, has been compared to her editorial counterparts at Vogue in Paris and New York. And her somewhat austere presence has fueled blog twittering that she is on a short list of likely successors to American Vogue editor Anna Wintour, should Ms. Wintour one day shrug off the mantle." (NYTimes)

"Wednesday’s bright sunshine made everyone merry. Rain was banished from Big Apple skies and ladies who lunch, along with ladies who work, set off in high spirits for Oscar de la Renta’s spring 2008 Fashion Week presentation, held uptown in the lovely 563 Park Avenue space that doubles as a Christian Science church .. I sat with Oscar’s ladies: his elegant wife Annette looking crisp in white, Nancy Kissinger, Donna Acquavella, Lynn Nesbit, Lee Radziwill, Barbara Walters, Catie Marron, Lou Lou de la Falaise, Hilary Geary Ross, Toni Goodale, Emilia Krimendahl, Robin Gerstner and Marcia Mishaan." (NYSocialDiary)

"My collection for Spring 2009 was really inspired by music and what my friends and I were listening to from the mid-'80s to the early '90s ..The after-party at Country Club was so much fun! I was dead tired, but I promised Mark I would be there on time. Both my brothers -- Mark and Alexander -- DJ-d for the party to start the night off. I was a little bummed because Samantha told me she couldn't come due to a scheduling conflict, but she tricked me! Samantha surprised me and showed up. I was so happy. The rest of my family and friends were able to come as well, including Mr. Mickey himself. Our group then went over to Beatrice for an impromptu birthday party for Mark. I don't even know what time I got home..." (Charlotte Ronson/Papermag)

"Bill Maher, with his wryly contemptuous hyper-confident gleam, doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who loses sleep about a lot of things, but I've sometimes wondered if it bothers him that he isn't fawned over by the media the way that Jon Stewart is. They're our two reigning genius dissecters of the American political circus (Stephen Colbert is something else--a postmodern satirist), but Maher, unlike Stewart, puts his personal idiosyncrasies right out there, and his prejudices, too--about sex (which he appears to value more than love), marriage (he's not a fan), and religion (he's really not a fan). Maher is more than happy to be the skunk at the garden party, and a gloriously un-P.C. one at that, and that's one of the reasons that some people can't stand him." (Popwatch)

No comments: