Tuesday, January 06, 2004

A Vanity Fair at Le Cirque

Everyone's favorite follicle-challenged short fingered vulgarian has an interesting story in his book Trump: The Art of the Comeback, which could just as easily have been called the art of the weave.

Anyhoo: The Donald sayeth:

One of my most interesting Mar-a-Lago experiences involved the turmoil over Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley. Michael was a friend of mine and a very good guy-- but very different. It began in New York, when I got a call from him one day, saying he would be coming to the city and would like to get together. He often called to say hello when he came to New York. This time I invited him out to Le Cirque, one of the great restaurants of New York, headed by a master, Siro Maccioni. (Michael) was very nervous about going to a restaurant; in fact, he said, he hadn't been to a restaurant in years. I found this hard to believe, but after we arrived, I could see it was true.

"This was in the early 90s, at the height of the Michael Jackson madness, and I don't believe I have ever seen a star as hot as Michael was at that time. When Michael, Marla, and I walked into Le Cirque, some of the biggest people in the universe were seated having dinner. These people who have seen it all. They are rich, they are spoiled and they are snooty. I will never forget as Michael sat down in his red military outfit with a large black hat and picked up the menu. It was as if he had never seen a menu before, and we carefully went over each item. But what was most amazing were the looks on the faces of the most distinguished people in the room as they came over to our table practically begging for an autograph.

"These are people who have never asked for anyones autograph before and I can guarantee you, it was not easy for them to do. They would always start by saying, I have a son who is abig fan of yours, Mr. Jackson. Could you give him an autograph? But I believe it was for them, not their sons. One woman, one of the most socially prominent women in New York, known for her attitude, approached our table, trying to look cool, then slightly tripped. She grabbed the table for support and asked in the same breath, 'Mr.Jackson can I have your autograph?' It was amazing to see this woman, who I have known for years, so flustered and nervous."

No comments: