Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Richard Johnson at 50

Our favorite Capricorn, Richard Johnson, editor of Page Six, is celebrating the big 50 January 15th.

The Corsair can still remember the first time he met Richard at Elaine's. It was at a dinner being given by that most excellent Greek millionaire Taki Theodoropoulos, for, of all people, former weapons inspector and internet child predator, Scott Ritter (that's actually my fault and it's a long story best saved for another time).

Some foolish guest actually didn't know who Richard was, and before he could answer I answered for him, instinctively, with some wonder in my voice, "That's Richard Johnson."
Nods were then exchanged between he and I. He's old school like that.

We have exchanged emails since then and I made an appearance as a boldfaced name in Page Six once. It was a swishy achievement. I didn't even know until early in the morning a close friend woke me up screaming at me over the phone, "Ron! You're in Page Six!!" And so I was.

So, Richard is turning 50. What can one give to the man who has everything? Keep on keeping on, Richard. Page Six is the most important purveyor of entertainment news and the herald of the Age of Shadenfreude. And those successes depend entirely upon you and your merry band of Sixers.



No comments: