Tuesday, October 26, 2004

A Little of the Old In and Out

In: Hugh Grant Versus Julia Roberts. What's up with this? The Corsair always secretly believed that Hugh Grant was, in fact -- despite the role of the the silly Britisher doff which he so expertly plays -- actually a nasty, vicious, arrogant, imperious, asshole. Not that that is based on any actual empirical data. Rather it's probably based on some messy residual Uganda-Britain postcolonial issues working themselves out in The Corsair's fevered consciousness. Either that or Acid reflux.

Anyhoo: my Hugh Grant as Asshole theory got a bit of a boost recently when Hughdie took the time out -- on Oprah, no less -- to bitchsmack an unsuspecting Julia Roberts, who is currently on hiatus from Timseltown to have a baby. This according to Ananova:

"Grant appeared on Winfrey's chat show to promote his upcoming movie Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason alongside Renee Zellweger and Colin Firth, when he was asked to share his thoughts on his Notting Hill co-star, Roberts.

"He quipped, 'Very big-mouthed! Literally, physically, she has a very big mouth. When I was kissing her I was aware of a faint echo.'

"As Winfrey stifled her laughter, she said, 'She's one of the nicest people I ever met.'
Grant jokingly hit back, 'I wouldn't go that far...'"

Out: Fijian fertility Potions. Gooey Pacific unguents. Eew. According to FemaleFirst:

"Britney Spears is reportedly drinking a traditional fertility potion in a bid to get pregnant on her honeymoon.

"The newlywed star, who jetted to Fiji with new husband Kevin Federline last week, has been downing the special tincture after locals told her it would boost her chance of conceiving.

"A source said: 'She's doing everything she can to prepare herself for having a baby. Usual blends of the cocktail can aid sleep but the one they have been drinking is an aphrodisiac and helps conception.'"

Eew.

In: Jann Wenner on Bonnie Fuller. The Fashionweekdaily Quote of the Day:

"Bonnie is not a good boss. And her instincts and editorial policies were beyond what I consider to be tasteful or acceptable. There is a nasty edge."

Meeeow. Is that why she left you and not the other way round, Jann? Ka-Pow!

Out: Rock and Roll. This from Hollywood Life, October 2004:

"Dennis Hensley: Who'se been your most surprising fan?

"Hilary Duff: Hmm. Once I was in Johnny Roberts on Melrose Avenue with a friend and these two really tall girls with mohawks and piercings walked up to me. I was like 'I think I am about to get beat up here.' I was so scared. They looked at me and I just looked back and they said, 'We love you ! Could we get a picture with you?' (laughs) The other big surprise was Steven Tyler."

The Corsair audibly groans

"When Aerosmith was honored as an MTV Icon, I thought I'd been invited by some PR people but when I was walking to the red carpet he passed by and stuck his head out of the car and screamed, 'Hilary! Thanks for coming!' When my sister and I checked in, they told us that we were his guests for the night. It was so great because I'm such a huge fan of his."

Rock and Roll, RIP, 1953-2004, "Sing with me, sing for the years/Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears."

In: Stern Versus Powell. According to Drudge:

"Talk radio giant Howard Stern confronted his longtime FCC nemesis Michael Powell on Ronn Owens' KGO morning show on Tuesday morning. FCC Chairman Powell's interview on the San Francisco-based show (9-10am PDT) had been promoted in the media beforehand prompting Stern to unexpectedly call in for a tense 15 minute conversation.

"'The commissioner handled himself well, but seemed uncomfortable,' Owens told the DRUDGE REPORT in between segments. 'But he made no attempt to make me end the call.

"'Stern was firm but respectable. There was no yelling.'"

Out: Tom Ford's Absurdly Expensive New Book. My blogger wife, the Magnificent Miu Von Furstenberg -- beauty and brains -- tells us "Tom Ford's New Book, the cleverly titled Tom Ford, is retailing for $325.00 ($238.00 at Amazon)." More here.




No comments: