Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Media-Whore D'oeuvres








"Forecasting world events is a difficult task that takes guts and discipline. Though you can find endless scenarios in a number of places, Stratfor – the same people that predicted, in 2002, the EU crisis; and in 2010, the U.S.-Iranian negotiations – focuses on countries’ constraints, which eliminates the impossibilities down to a likely path. Here are a few things we see ahead by 2039:
  • The United States will continue to be the leading economic power.
  • Conflict in the Middle East will continue, but the United States will take a much more hands-off approach in the region.
  • German and Russian interests will align, trading natural gas and technology, and could potentially threaten Washington's global strategy.
  • Mexico will become an industrial powerhouse by taking low-level production from China and monetizing its energy sector.
  • China will continue to face more internal tension and slower economic growth.
Even though our forecasts might not coincide with popular belief, we use a proven methodology that is based on a sober, geopolitical understanding – how geography, economics, politics and technology intersect to shape international relations. When combined with a deep appreciation of history and intelligence collected from all around the globe, our analysts emerge with an understanding of what must happen, rather than what may." (STRATFOR)









"What was said: 'I know that the American people aren’t interested in refighting old battles. So again, if you have specific plans to cut costs, cover more people, and increase choice—tell America what you’d do differently. Let’s see if the numbers add up. But let’s not have another forty-something votes to repeal a law that’s already helping millions of Americans.'  What was meant: 'Enough already with repealing Obamacare. You think you’re all going to campaign on that and get reelected? Be serious.' What was said: 'And with the Afghan war ending, this needs to be the year Congress lifts the remaining restrictions on detainee transfers and we close the prison at Guantanamo Bay—because we counter terrorism not just through intelligence and military action, but by remaining true to our Constitutional ideals, and setting an example for the rest of the world.' What was meant: “I like to think of Guantanamo Bay as a 'Congress problem.’' What was said: 'American diplomacy, backed by the threat of force, is why Syria’s chemical weapons are being eliminated, and we will continue to work with the international community to usher in the future the Syrian people deserve—a future free of dictatorship, terror, and fear.' What was meant: 'You can’t say I didn’t mention Syria!'" (VanityFair)















"Last night at the Plaza, in the Grand Ballroom, The National Audubon Society honored Dan Lufkin and Patrick Noonan for their environmental leadership and lifetime commitment to the environment. This was the first major fundraising event I’ve been to this month in New York. I mention it only because when the season heats up a couple of months from now, there will be at least one, sometimes two or three or more, four to five days at week, for a few weeks. When we hear the name Audubon, we think of John James Audubon, the naturalist painter of the 19th century and his paintings of birds and wildlife (ed. note, there was an auction last weekend at the Arader Galleries of several of Audubon’s images with almost a $ million in total sales.) He is the inspiration historically but the Audubon Society is about conservation of life on the planet which means the air, the earth, the water, the wildlife and us (which in many cases could be considered wildlife also). So last night’s was a 'serious' fundraiser. It was an evening of speeches, in a way. But serious. They drew a big crowd of several hundred men and women. They raised about $1.5 million. The dinner was very good, and the wine and the chocolate dessert. And there were speeches." (NYSocialDiary)






Hits Cast








"David Cross set his directorial debut Hits in a small town two hours upstate from New York City, but for the residents of tiny Liberty, it might as well be a hop, skip, and a jump from Hollywood: Almost everyone in Liberty is consumed with the idea of fame, whether it's Dave Stuben (Matt Walsh), whose city council tirades make him a viral-video hit, or his daughter Kateyln (Meredith Hagner), who's so determined to get onto The Voice that she's already rehearsing her postshow sitdown with Ellen DeGeneres. As Stuben's recorded rants reach a circle of hipster liberals (headed by James Adomian) who relocate from Brooklyn to Liberty, intending to make the local man a national hero, Cross gets in plenty of jabs at the current, vapid political climate, too. Vulture sat down with Cross last week after Hits premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and the comedian had plenty more to say about all those big, fat satirical targets. You've been to Sundance before, but how did it feel to come here with a film you wrote and directed? I was telling my wife and my manager this last night — and let me preface this by saying it's an honor to be here for something that I believe in so much, because I haven't had that experience before when I've been up here — but I really thought I'd be more emotional. I was afraid that I might tear up during a Q&A and have to say, 'I'm sorry, guys, this has been my dream since I was a kid,' but last night, when I was sitting in the audience in that sold-out theater of 1,200 people, all I noticed were all the mistakes: 'God, I wish I could change that,' or 'I need to go back into sound,' or 'I need to fix that.' It was definitely well-received, but watching it was nerve-wracking, and I had no emotion afterwards. I was like, 'Thank God this is over.' I wanted a drink so bad." (Vulture)


Kim Hastreiter 


"How would your describe yourself in three words? Enthusiastic, critical, visual. What were you pursuing before launching paper? Art. I was an artist. What inspired you to start paper?Well, I wanted to be an artist and I needed a job and Bill Cunningham got me my first job at this newspaper called The Soho News as the Style Editor. So I kind of brought all my creative artist friends, and my kind of conceptual brain into doing this style section every week. And I just did it as a job but I really fell in love with it. And then it went out of business and I met David [Hershkovitz], my partner, and we decided to start something ourselves." (Guestofaguest)











"On Saturday, January 25th, 2013, more than 250 guests gathered at the Pierre Hotel in New York City for the 54th Annual Quadrille Ball, one of the few white tie events and an annual staple of the New York Ball Season. This year’s honoree, Mr. Bernard Meyer, Managing Partner of Meyer Werft, has earned an international reputation for the construction of large, modern cruise ships including Celebrity Cruises and Disney Cruise Lines. His newest and largest ship, the Norwegian Getaway, just came to port in time to host more than 4000 visitors for the Super Bowl. Ball guests included the German Consul General, New York, Busso von Alvensleben and his wife Maria-Theresia, the Rector of Technical University of Dortmund and head of the Board of Trustees of Krupp Foundation Prof. Dr. Ursula Gather, UN High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Mrs. Angela Kane, the CEO of the German American Chamber of Commerce Dietmar Rieg, Count Victor Dijon von Monteton with his wife Katharina, the President of the Germanistic Society of America, Prof. Dr. Barbara Elling, and Quadrille Ball Committee Chair Irmintraud Jost. They all enjoyed silent auction, cocktails, dinner and dancing until 4AM. " (NySocialDiary)

No comments: